02 March 2007

can't sign in in Yahoo! Messenger


A couple of weeks ago I had the difficulty of signing in to Yahoo! Messenger. Whenever I enter my username and password it would act as signing in for about a minute then it would just go back to the sign in page. It reverts to that page without any error message showing up. So, it was not a username or password issue because it shouldgive me an error message of some sort. Well, something like "Invalid Username/Password".

So, I searched the internet for solutions. Unfortunately Yahoo!'s Help doesn't do much. It doesn't even have the right question for me. And the results that pull up are not even close to my query. So, I went out of the page. Then I sought the help of the trusted Google. Of course it would be impossible that I'm the only person having this trouble. The funny thing though is when my brother tried to sign in, it went through. So, I'm really baffled now. I ofcourse made sure it's not a communication error and all is well with my ISP, since I was able to view websites okay.

Then, I came accross one similar incident with someone in Yahoo! Answers. The solution that was presented there was pretty simple.

Uninstall Yahoo! Messenger completely and download a new set up and reinstall it.

There were following comments saying that this didn't work. But what the heck, it may not work for them, but it may work for me. So, I went ahead and uninstalled my messenger and downloaded a new set up and reinstall it.

Viola! I was able to log in fine now!

I tried to look for the page where I got the suggestion from to give the person some credit and thank him/her for the help. Unfortunately I'm not able to find the correct one anymore. So, to you, whoever you are, thanks!

You just need to eliminate the possible things that may cause this before doing the uninstall-reinstall thing.

  • Make sure you have a good connection. Try browsing websites and check how fast the pages load.
  • Be certain that you are not logged in on another PC's YM.
  • In this instance there are no error messages showing up.
  • Make sure your firewall can allows YM to access the internet.

No problems so far. Feel free to put in comments and i'll update this post if something will come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin